Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
N8N N8N is offline

Default Where buy high quality low voltage landscape lights ?

On Jun 8, 1:16*pm, fftt wrote:
On Jun 7, 8:45*am, "James" no wrote:

I have used 12 volt landscape lights for about seven years. * During this
time, I have used various light fixtures from Home Depot and Lowe's. *Some
seem pretty low quality, some appear pretty decent at first. * But, they all
leak after a few years.

I have also tried more "upscale" lights from a lighting dealer, *costing in
the range of $90 per fixture. * *They also leak after a few years. *I see
NO difference in quality of the "upscale" fixtures at $90 than what I buy at
the big box stores at $15 *each. * No difference whatsoever. * (Generally
speaking, I am a believer in the saying that you get what you pay for. *This
does not appear to be the case with low voltage landscape lights).

Do any of you have experience with the long term use of *low voltage
landscape lights, and have you found decent fixtures with good seals, so
that they don't leak after a few years ? * If so, what brand/ *store / etc
would you suggest that I try ??

Thanks *for any comments or advice *!!

James

James-

My limited expericence is the same. *

as per other posts, my opinion all LV fixtures are junk

I would suggest (worth a try) sealing the fixtures prior to
installation with silicone seal OR if you want to try & maintain dis-
assembly as an option.....a heavy application of silicone grease

IMO the only thing going for LV lighting is; fast & cheap to install
I tell people that their new LV installation will require ongoing /
never ending *maintenance *

the solar ones are kinda wimpy on the output & as near as I can tell
the batteries cannot be replaced...but they are hard to for ease of
install & maintentance

cheers
Bob- Hide quoted text -

the ones I have are "solar" brand from Home Depot, the batteries are
standard AA rechargeables. Downsides:

1) so flimsily made that they will break (from getting kicked,
newspapers landing on them, etc.) before the batteries wear out.

2) solar panels haze over worse than cheap car headlamps

3) stakes are worthless plastic junk

other than that (ahem) they actually work pretty well.

nate