Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Aglionby Adam Aglionby is offline

Default Ouch- eletrocution

On 8 June, 17:32, David Hansen
wrote:
On 08 Jun 2009 16:14:23 GMT someone who may be
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote this:-

I can't help thinking that the wrapping people in cotton wool that we
do in this country (i.e. protecting them from images of such realities)
may well result in more such incidents due to widespread ignorance.

US used to have a policy in the 50`s and early 60`s of showing
teenagers graphic footage of fatal car accidents.
Forgetting of course that teenagers like gore and being teenagers are
immortal and can disconnect from the imagery as not applicable to
them.

I think the same way too.

Public executions used to pull a good crowd.

However, the showing of a film in school which showed the true
effect of motor vehicle crashes on humans did not stop one pupil in
my year riding a motorcycle into a horse at high speed.

Deliberately rode into a horse? not one Evel Kneivel had thought of
thats for sure.
Been quite a series, 6 in one month, of car-deer collisions on A1
between Edinburgh and Berwick

It was fatal
for him (and I imagine the horse). That does not mean the film was
ineffective by the way, only that it was not 100% effective.

perhaps should show the deer some videos...

Used to know the guys at Leadburn Garage, they had contract for towing
wrecks from the Peebles road, by nature a very high speed road.
He told me he learned pretty quickly to let the ambulances from
Edinburgh arrive on scene first.

Ayrshire used to leave wrecks where they landed in the field beside
accident blackspots, pretty effective reminder and somewhere to tie
the flowers nowadays.

Keep smiling

Adam

--
* David Hansen, Edinburgh
*I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me