Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Battery Shelf Life

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

It's wise to try and adjust to the sun's schedule. Go to bed
when it gets dark. That cuts back on your need for
artificial light.

Other, less cheeful thought. I live in NY, but I personally
know of at least two people who have had generators stolen.

F-ing thieves should be shot on sight.(I've been a victim)

If you use it, chain it securely. Preferably within chain
range of a big dog who is protective of the family and
generator. Dog might have rock-concert type hearing for a
couple days. And post armed watch over the generator.

If you bought name brand alkaline batteries (Energizer,
Duracell, Rayovac) they should be fine. As others have said,
keep them cool but not frozen. Refrigerator may be overkill.
But they should be stored in a cellar, or at floor level.
Dry can be accomplished by storing the batteries in screw
cap jar, wtih a dessicant packet.

Duracells leak more often than other brands I've used.
(except for Harbor Freights "Thunderbolt" cells;those were horrible.)
I don't use Duracells any more.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik