Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Battery Shelf Life

Dorothy wrote:

Thanks. I have lanterns that require the large ones and then lanterns
that need four D size. The TV takes 6 D size. There are several of
those small round lights (4 AA each) ... one of each room. Weather
radio that can be recharged by turning the crank plus it takes plain
AA batteries in addition to the rechargeable one.

Last year I bought a generator but we have very little experience
actually running it - and that's fine with me. I want to be prepared
in case of several days without power - and not rely too much on the
generator. Everything appears to be working fine as long as the
battteries are still good.

Another tip:

Get a couple of kerosene lanterns, less than $5.00 each. Kerosene keeps,
like, forever.

I stopped by my local auto parts store and scavenged a dozen or so plastic
oil cans from the trash. I put the kerosene in these oil cans to make the
eventual re-fill process easier than fiddling with the 5-gallon kerosene
drum in the dark.

The kerosene lamps have other uses. Not long ago some twit took out the
street lamp in front of my house. Hit that sucker square on and uprooted a
30-foot steel pole right out of the ground!

I politely mentioned the missing street light to the agency responsible
about three times with no result.

Then I found a 10' tree limb, stuck it in the hole formerly occupied by the
street lamp, and hung a kerosene lantern on one of the twigs.

A picture of this alternative was attached to yet another email and, presto,
the street light was replaced forthwith!