Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Larter Bob Larter is offline

Default Why can't electronics on new washers & dryers be tougher?

Leonard Caillouet wrote:
"Bob Larter" wrote in message
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 02:46:47 +1000, Bob Larter
wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 04:22:41 +0200, Sjouke Burry
wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
William R. Walsh wrote:
Used that
for a while until I found that getting a new compatible relay
for the
GE was impossible. I turned the whole mess over to Best Buy, who
took
the dead oven back and let me pick another.
Just as well. But doesn't your jurisdiction require manufacturers
to support their products. Here in Australia if I found that a
manufacturer couldn't or wouldn't supply a replacement part for
an appliance that is only just out of warranty, I could, if I
were so minded, sue them for my loss.

Sylvia.
Ah, but they would supply it, for a price, that is.
In the laptop world, some components cost more then a new laptop....
There's no part in a laptop that costs as much as replacing
the laptop (same model) unless perhaps you live in a place so
remote that it costs $2000 to have a screw delivered.

ROTFL! Wanna bet?

Then you should have no trouble naming some parts that cost as much
as replacing
the laptop.

Sure. The LCD panel or the motherboard for a 3 year old laptop
typically cost as much to buy as spare parts as brand new laptop would.

Actually, I have changed a couple of panels in laptops and they were
under $100. Parts have started to become more available and as more
reasonable prices through the efforts of third parties. The parts may
be far more expensive from the manufacturer of the laptop, but things
are far better than they were a couple of years ago in this regard.

It's quite possible that you're more up to date than I am, as it's been
10 years or so since I last was fixing laptops for a living. It was
certainly true back then, though.