Posted to uk.d-i-y
RobertL RobertL is offline

Default Recording from damaged 78rpm record

On 2009-06-07, Clot wrote:
geoff wrote:
In message , andrew
writes
Whilst clearing out the loft at my mother's old house I have come
across some records. These were made in America in 1942 by her
brother who was training as RAF bomber crew. He died shortly after.

I think they are directly scribed into the plastic which is in poor
nick, possibly some mould growth. The discs are "Zenith Universal
Recorder" and probably done in some sort of booth.

I shall try and record them directly to wav files but before I
attempt that what precautions need I take? I have a problem in that
my record deck only has 33 and 45 rpm. Was mono 78 simply an
amplitude modulation by depth of the needle?

You could always buy one of these

http://www.firebox.com/product/1401/USB-Turntable

prolly cheaper elsewhere and you can get 78 needles for them

Brilliant, thanks for that link. I've loads of LPs that I wish to put on the
PC and couldn't be bothered playing with converting. This appears to be just
the ticket.

snip

its ok for a 78 or two, they dont take long,

But you might have to splice them together. I remember an old 78
recording* where you could hear that the orchestra stopped dead at the
end of each side - the echo died away afterwards. You'd need to join
them up with an overlap.

Robert
* Beethoven's Eroica in fact