Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Battery Shelf Life

For single use batteries, there are three "basic" kinds.
Carbon cells, alkalines, and lithium.

Carbon cells last two to five years, maybe. These are the
ones that say "Heavy Duty".

Alkalines last a lot longer than that. About six weeks ago,
I opened a flashlight I bought 10 years ago. Mag light, with
Energizer D cells. Unused, in the original package. Worked
fine.

Lithium batteries are supposed to last even longer than
that.

If you bought alkalines, there's not much worry. As others
have suggested, many VOM have sharp tips you can stab
through a package. You can also make a tester with a PR-4
bulb and a piece of wire, to do a quick, crude test to see
if a C, D, or AA, or AAA cell is working. For lanten
batteries use a PR-12 from terminal to terminal.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Dottie" wrote in message
I live in Florida and have accumulated a large collection of
batteries
for use in case of power outages. The expiration date on
most of them
say 2012 to 2013. Is there a device I can get to test
these - without
having to take them all out of the package and put them in a
flash
light or something . I need to feel safe and sure that
they are in
good working order and would feel a lot better if I could
test them.
Asked in the hardware and auto section of Walmart and they
didn't
carry them ... hadn't seen them.... I just assumed there was
such a
thing. I know there used to be. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.