Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default video security needed

George wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
nefletch wrote:
I am in need of an inexpensive video surveillance system.
Could anyone recommend a site? Any recommendations
on a brand? I need motion detection to turn it on.
And the video feed could go to my computer for my
viewing the next day, and then deleting it. I am only trying
to protect a few hundred dollars worth of stuff, but I
would like to see the little *******s in court. Thanks

Dozens of comanies online sell cheap components, but if you want a
canned system you can resell later and get some of your money back,
look out at Sam's club. That is, unless the little buggers steal the
security system next time....

As to seeing the kids in court- chances are slim and none, especially
if they don't already have records. No jail space, no Juvie space, no
time for prosecutors to spend on nickel cases. Almost all get pleaded
out or 'diverted'. I got robbed several times in the apartments I used
to live in. The patrol cop finally told me there really wasn't any
point in reporting it, much less giving them the detailed list of
missing stuff. There Would Be No Followup.

--
aem sends...

Sounds like you live in a PC we must be nice to the riff-raff area. Its
a proven thing that if you ignore the small crimes the riff-raff will
likely grow into bigger crimes as they get older.

Yeah, I did a paper on the broken-window theory back in college. It has
a lot of validity.

But nope, not at all PC around here. Just a small semi-rural no-budget
township that is too damn proud and stubborn to merge their combined
PD-FD with the real town next door, or contract with the sheriff's
department for patrol coverage (like most of the other suburban
townships have done.) Law enforcement is VERY Mayberry in this part of
the metro area. And since the cops are almost all also the firemen, if
you want to pull off a crime, just torch a barn at the other end of the
township or something.

If OP can give a video CD to whatever his local law enforcement agency
is, and either have them pass it on to the parents, or get their
blessing to do it himself (and the parents will actually do something),
that may be a viable solution. But I would keep the cops in the loop-
that way when OP's house gets egged, or his tires slashed, the cops will
know it isn't just a neighbor vs. neighbor domestic. They HATE those.

--
aem sends...