Silvan

Default How old is a Morgan 10A vise?

Lawrence A. Ramsey wrote:

Michael: Standard method is using left-handed drill bits and run your
drill in reverse. Have fun finding them and listening to the smart ass
answers you will get when you ask for them. As the drill bit bites, it
will both apply torque and heat up the bolt both actions help allow
the broken bolt to release. If you can't locate them, write me off
line and I will locate some for you. Heat with a propane torch MIGHT
work if done carefully.

Right there with the left handed shovels, right?

No, I know you're serious. I've seen them somewhere or other, and that
sounds like a good plan.

I got off easy though. I had a big cutoff disc for my Dremel that was able
to reach into the crevice and get at the thing. One of them came out with
little more than a tap and a twist. The other one, I had to cut way down,
hammer the sacrificial screwdriver into the kerf, and then wrench on the
screwdriver (crescent wrenches _are_ good for something, though Bob Vila
would surely have used pliers) to break it loose.

It was pretty determined to stay put, but I got it. I've gotten the vise
installed, and have already used it. The only down side here is that I put
it in the middle of my bench, and now I'm getting paranoid about that after
looking at all the pictures of workbenches with the vise on the far end,
where it doesn't have to penetrate any support members.

Well, I didn't want it at the far end, and what's done is done. I lined up
my little cheapo at the far end, and now I can clamp a 72" board with no
more than 24" at a stretch unsupported, which feels right.

It's been a fun adventure. Best of all I got a really awesome ~$100+
equivalent vise for surely less than $1.00 in supplies/electricity.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/