Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Dryer outlet problem

"MiamiCuse" wrote

I have a question on the 220V dryer outlet I have.

The outlet is a three prong outlet. The middle top one is straight slot,
the other two at the bottom are angled. My older dryer plug matches that.

20 or 50 Amp?

My new dryer also has a 3 prone plug, but the top prone is a little "L
shaped" prong. Is this unusual does it mean I need a new outlet or some
adaptor?

I believe that is 30 Amp? Thats why the connectors are different. To keep
you safe.

I know in my case, any 'heavy 220 type gear' gets on only the proper
circuits. I had an electrician change out a few things not long ago and put
in GFCI's in the kitchen and screened porch.

Think of it this way, if the gear is meant to run at one amperage and you
feed it higher or lower, you could be creating a fire hazard.