Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Ouch- eletrocution

On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 13:43:14 GMT someone who may be "The Medway
Handyman" wrote this:-

Its not a question of not allowing them, its a matter of how do you
stop them

As I said in an earlier post, we manage to stop 300 million Americans & 700
million Europeans riding on top of trains.

Not all of them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZvm5H4F-aA
features a very foolish young man. It was reported that his personal
safety thermostat had been affected by lukemia. However,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoT9vTx3_ms&feature=related
presents an alternative explanation and I believe that is now
considered the correct one. The ICE train is not running on a high
speed line, but it may well have been running at 100-125mph.

It does say in the second video that people spotted him on the ICE.
The wall between the driver and the passenger compartment is all
glass in those trains, though this can be turned black when
necessary. Anyone in the second half of the last coach would have
been able to see the "surfer".

While few are that foolish, there are people who "surf" trains
travelling at lower speeds, not always on the roof but on the sides
and ends. I have heard of these "surfers" being killed in Australia,
Denmark and the UK. They tend to be teenage boys.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh