Posted to alt.home.repair
FreeTheBirthCert FreeTheBirthCert is offline

Default OTA antenna mount

GoHabsGo wrote:
"Don Phillipson" wrote in
:

"GoHabsGo" wrote in message
05.209...

You also have the option of using a telescoping mast pipe that
could be secured at the ground and at the top.

http://www.lnl.com/lnl/mtghdwre.tam
Thanks for the suggestion but that's kind of out of the question for
my situation. While it may work, I still have the issue of how do I
attach it at the top? If that is answered, I think I could use that
eave mount kit on that web site you referred to above.

The peak of my gable is way up there. I have a 24' ladder and I'm
sure it's at least ten feed short for the peak. I will likely need
to go to the adjacent side and put the ladder on the deck so it can
reach the low end of the gable, climb on the roof and reach over the
side to attach. I just need to be sure there is something solid
there to bolt into. Anyone have information on typical roof
construction? Will there be a 2x8 facia on the gable, under the
siding?

1. Advisers cannot help much since the OP did not say
how the house is built (masonry, framed timber etc.) or how old.

Wood framed house with brick on lower half and vinyl siding on the top
half. House was built in 2001 in Southern Ontario (Canada).

2. The brace for a telescoping antenna carries no weight
(except itself) so can be fairlly light. It needs only sufficient
strength to resist maximum winds. The municipal building
permits office may have free advice about this.

I want a minimalistic mount, yet strong enough to support the antenna and
rotor. This telescoping antenna would stand out a little too much, in my
view (and my wife's also).

3. It is notoriously unsafe to work under the eaves from
atop a roof, working upside down. When a carpenter put
an extra window under my eaves he brought his own scaffold,
about 4 x 6 ft. footprint, and took it up to 20 ft. height in less
than 10 minutes.

I'm considering getting a longer ladder with stand-off braces. How long
do ladders come? I think I may reach with a 36' ladder but a little
longer would definitely be better.

does she have a good insurance policy on you?