Posted to alt.home.repair
GoHabsGo GoHabsGo is offline

Default OTA antenna mount

"Tom Oska" wrote in
:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
GoHabsGo wrote:
I need to mount my new TV antenna on my house. There is no way
a tower would go over in my neighborhood, so let's not get into that
discussion. I would like to mount the antenna near the peak. I
don't have a chimney. The house is quite high being a two storey
house plus the basement is only half buried. The peak of the house
has a gable end at both sides.

Looking at the construction from the inside, I can't really tell if
the eave is sturdy or not since they have boxed it in all the way to
the roof.

I kind of want to avoid installing anything that will penetrate the
shingles, but have seen the Commdeck mounting device which looks
intriguing. Any users out there?

My first thought was to get an eave mount kit which consists of a
bracket at the peak and a longer bracket lower down which spans from
one eave to the other and the antenna mast attaches to the middle of
both brackets. How would I attach that to the eave, and how can I
tell if the eave is strong enough to hold it?

I was also considering a J-mount, like one that is used for
satellite dishes but don't think that the eave is wide enough to
mount it vertically in any spot near the peak. Would it be possible
to mount a J-mount to the side of the house - there are 2x8's
vertically at intervals in the gable end, but the exterior is
finished with vinyl siding.

Any other ideas are welcome but keep in mind that this antenna is
about 41" x 33" and I also want to mount a rotor on this mount.

Let me know how you would attack this task!

Thanks,

Larry

Hi,
Once I had an antenna on top of 2 story house roof. I built a
platform to straddle ridge at the center, used a tripod and mast. had
to use 3 guy wires of light aircraft steel cable with small turn
buckles etc. This set up lasted LONG time(~20 years) until I sold the
house. The antenna was two element tri-bander quad for ham radio with
a rotor.

Space in the attic? That's where mine is located.

There is plenty of space to mount it in the attic, however, my location
relative to the transmission towers is at the outer fringe, so I think
for most consistent reception, I will need to go outside.