Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default stop bed from rocking

"Me" wrote

my bed has a poor design, had i realized it then i wouldn't have
bought it. so, it sways, but not a little, i could get seasick just
from my dog jumping on it. the swaying is lengthwise.

Sorry to say this but case of a combination of a person with BMI problem
and El Cheapo bed?

You ass, I'm right in the middle of my proper weight range, an active
climber and hiker, and i made under $20k a year. i couldn't afford a
new bed. don't judge without knowing!

Grin, sometimes the guys here can get little off the track! Anyways, back
to your actual question and taking limited funds into account (I remember
those days, just after moving out from home and such).

Here's the simple one I used. (I weigh 124 now but then was 95lbs and my
cheap bed did that too, especially when the room-mates Rottie whould jump up
to wake me in the morning! He weighed more than I did!).

Cinderblocks. (dont freak yet!). I got rid of the 'frame' but kept the
headboard and held it in place just by having the bed hold it to the wall.
I put some old carpet tacked to the back so it wouldnt mess up the wall and
cost me time or money when moving out.

Now, I didnt want to look 'trashy' with bare cinderblocks so I painted them
wiith a semi-gloss oil based 'evergreen' paint. I used some acrylic paints
to make wild flowers growing up them randomly. (matched my only good
sheets).

Later, still a starving college student working my way through, I came
across a really pretty but thin bed comforter for free. It had some rips
but working around those, I used this to wrap them up nice (safety pins at
the back didnt show). Now they looked like an upholstered bed frame.

To this day, I still have some odd 'shelves' in my screened porch where
boards are held up by pretty patterened cloth wrapped cinderblocks ;-) And
when I get tired of a pattern and want to 'redecorate' I just swap the
cloth.

My cat's favorite perch is a 6ft long 18 inch wide section of plywood with a
thin plastic covered pad, and wrapped in a matching cloth to the cinderblock
'legs'. Strange perhaps but Daisy-cat likes it!