Posted to alt.home.repair
Me Me is offline

Default stop bed from rocking

my bed has a poor design, had i realized it then i wouldn't have
bought it. so, it sways, but not a little, i could get seasick just
from my dog jumping on it. the swaying is lengthwise.
the design is simple but poor. the head and foot boards have
perpendicular pieces of metal with a U in them. the angle iron side
bars each have a button on them. the button goes into the U and voila,
a swaying bed!

Right now I have 2 of the legs held together in a truck tie-down. is
there anything better to do this with (needs mechanical tightener or
another method? i already tried shims but that more for side to side
motion.

thank you!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 8:18*pm, Me wrote:
my bed has a poor design, had i realized it then i wouldn't have
bought it. so, it sways, but not a little, i could get seasick just
from my dog jumping on it. the swaying is lengthwise.
the design is simple but poor. the head and foot boards have
perpendicular pieces of metal with a U in them. the angle iron side
bars each have a button on them. the button goes into the U and voila,
a swaying bed!

Right now I have 2 of the legs held together in a truck tie-down. is
there anything better to do this with (needs mechanical tightener or
another method? i already tried shims but that more for side to side
motion.

thank you!

Those little brackets are incapable of counteracting the force made by
the much longer lever arms of the legs It is really impossible to
tell you "over the phone" how to fix it, sight unseen.

Take some pictures of the bed overall, the headboard (from the end
against the wall if possible) and a closeup of one of the brackets.
Post them on one of the free web hosting sites, and post the links to
the pictures back here. Then we'll see what's what.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 17:18:07 -0700 (PDT), Me
wrote:

my bed has a poor design, had i realized it then i wouldn't have
bought it. so, it sways, but not a little, i could get seasick just
from my dog jumping on it. the swaying is lengthwise.
the design is simple but poor. the head and foot boards have
perpendicular pieces of metal with a U in them. the angle iron side
bars each have a button on them. the button goes into the U and voila,
a swaying bed!

Right now I have 2 of the legs held together in a truck tie-down. is
there anything better to do this with (needs mechanical tightener or
another method? i already tried shims but that more for side to side
motion.

thank you!

Maybe make an "X" with some cable and turnbuckle? Or, fasten a 2x2
diagonal made from wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Me wrote:
my bed has a poor design, had i realized it then i wouldn't have
bought it. so, it sways, but not a little, i could get seasick just
from my dog jumping on it. the swaying is lengthwise.
the design is simple but poor. the head and foot boards have
perpendicular pieces of metal with a U in them. the angle iron side
bars each have a button on them. the button goes into the U and voila,
a swaying bed!

Right now I have 2 of the legs held together in a truck tie-down. is
there anything better to do this with (needs mechanical tightener or
another method? i already tried shims but that more for side to side
motion.

thank you!

Hi,
Sorry to say this but case of a combination of a person with BMI problem
and El Cheapo bed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 1:27*am, Tony Hwang wrote:

Sorry to say this but case of a combination of a person with BMI problem
and El Cheapo bed?

Why would you ever say that? Talk about making an ASSumption. The OP
said the dog jumping on the bed caused it to move a lot. How come
you're not assuming the dog is a St. Bernard?
Sheesh.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Me Me is offline

Me wrote:
my bed has a poor design, had i realized it then i wouldn't have
bought it. so, it sways, but not a little, i could get seasick just
from my dog jumping on it. the swaying is lengthwise.
the design is simple but poor. the head and foot boards have
perpendicular pieces of metal with a U in them. the angle iron side
bars each have a button on them. the button goes into the U and voila,
a swaying bed!

Right now I have 2 of the legs held together in a truck tie-down. is
there anything better to do this with (needs mechanical tightener or
another method? i already tried shims but that more for side to side
motion.

thank you!

Hi,
Sorry to say this but case of a combination of a person with BMI problem
and El Cheapo bed?

You ass, I'm right in the middle of my proper weight range, an active
climber and hiker, and i made under $20k a year. i couldn't afford a
new bed. don't judge without knowing!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Me" wrote

my bed has a poor design, had i realized it then i wouldn't have
bought it. so, it sways, but not a little, i could get seasick just
from my dog jumping on it. the swaying is lengthwise.

Sorry to say this but case of a combination of a person with BMI problem
and El Cheapo bed?

You ass, I'm right in the middle of my proper weight range, an active
climber and hiker, and i made under $20k a year. i couldn't afford a
new bed. don't judge without knowing!

Grin, sometimes the guys here can get little off the track! Anyways, back
to your actual question and taking limited funds into account (I remember
those days, just after moving out from home and such).

Here's the simple one I used. (I weigh 124 now but then was 95lbs and my
cheap bed did that too, especially when the room-mates Rottie whould jump up
to wake me in the morning! He weighed more than I did!).

Cinderblocks. (dont freak yet!). I got rid of the 'frame' but kept the
headboard and held it in place just by having the bed hold it to the wall.
I put some old carpet tacked to the back so it wouldnt mess up the wall and
cost me time or money when moving out.

Now, I didnt want to look 'trashy' with bare cinderblocks so I painted them
wiith a semi-gloss oil based 'evergreen' paint. I used some acrylic paints
to make wild flowers growing up them randomly. (matched my only good
sheets).

Later, still a starving college student working my way through, I came
across a really pretty but thin bed comforter for free. It had some rips
but working around those, I used this to wrap them up nice (safety pins at
the back didnt show). Now they looked like an upholstered bed frame.

To this day, I still have some odd 'shelves' in my screened porch where
boards are held up by pretty patterened cloth wrapped cinderblocks ;-) And
when I get tired of a pattern and want to 'redecorate' I just swap the
cloth.

My cat's favorite perch is a 6ft long 18 inch wide section of plywood with a
thin plastic covered pad, and wrapped in a matching cloth to the cinderblock
'legs'. Strange perhaps but Daisy-cat likes it!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Needs some kind of triangular brace. Don't know enough to be
able to reccomend something.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Me" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Me wrote in
:

Me wrote:
[...]

active climber and hiker

No wonder it sways. What do you dream about?? :-)

rocking motorcycle Terry[_4_] Woodworking 1 November 11th 07 03:50 AM
ROCKING FOOTREST J T Woodworking 0 February 27th 06 03:47 PM
ROCKING DINOSAUR J T Woodworking 3 August 7th 05 10:31 PM
ROCKING CHAIR J T Woodworking 0 January 5th 05 10:19 AM
DP depth stop / quill stop Gerald Ross Woodturning 3 December 28th 04 03:16 PM