Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Bob Larter Bob Larter is offline

Default Why can't electronics on new washers & dryers be tougher?

William Sommerwerck wrote:
About 15 years ago I bought a discontinued made-in-the-U-S-of-A Litton
microwave. I put it aside when I moved to a condo (as the new kitchen had a
GE "vent hood" microwave that's given perfect service. But the Litton was
solidly made, and on those rare occsions when I've had to schlep a microwave
to a party or dinner, it's worked fine.

In fairness, the Litton and other American microwaves were probably
"overbuilt" -- the quality level was much higher than it had to be, even for
a product intended to last 20 years or more. The quality of the non-American
GE appears to be "about right".

Canon used to build their laser printer engines (HP, Brother, Apple)
that well. Not any more.