Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Larter Bob Larter is offline

Default Why can't electronics on new washers & dryers be tougher?

Sylvia Else wrote:
Bob Larter wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
William R. Walsh wrote:
Used that
for a while until I found that getting a new compatible relay for the
GE was impossible. I turned the whole mess over to Best Buy, who took
the dead oven back and let me pick another.

Just as well. But doesn't your jurisdiction require manufacturers to
support their products. Here in Australia if I found that a
manufacturer couldn't or wouldn't supply a replacement part for an
appliance that is only just out of warranty, I could, if I were so
minded, sue them for my loss.

If the gizmo cost less than $500, you wouldn't even have to do that,
you could just take them to the Small Claims Tribunal, & you'd
probably win.

Well, that would still be suing them.

Theoretically, yes, but in practice it's totally unlike dragging someone
into a court for a civil case. No lawyers, just the consumer & a rep for
the seller. And there's no appeal.

There is a separate issue, of course, which is whether an appliance
should fail when it's just out of the manufacturer's warranty, given
that such warranties tend to be absurdly short anyway. The mere fact
that a piece of gear is out of warranty doesn't mean that the
manufacturer is off the hook. Depends on the jurisdiction, though.

Speaking as someone who spent years doing warranty service work, most
manufacturers will come to the party if something fails just outside the
warranty, if the purchaser sticks to their guns.