Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Larter Bob Larter is offline

Default Why can't electronics on new washers & dryers be tougher?

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 02:46:16 +1000, Bob Larter
wrote:

Ayup. LCD panels & main boards being the two standard examples.

I beg to differ. If you buy replacement panels from the manufacturer,
then one can easily pay as much as the laptop (for low end models
only).

Yes, those are the spares I'm talking about.
Refurbed main boards or third party LCD panels can be a lot cheaper. Of
course you run the risk of getting a dud PCB or an incompatible LCD.

However, if you purchase them from numerous vendors on the web
or on eBay, the prices are typically $60-$200 depending on size,
new/used, and oddity. I've repaired many broken LCD displays this way
with few difficulties beyond ordering the wrong panel and misplacing
the screws. Same with the even cheaper LCD inverters, which are a
more common problem. Depending on difficulty, I usually add 1-2 hours
labour at $75/hr onto the bill with the panel and parts at cost.
Unless the laptop is junk, it's still economical to repair laptops.
(Note: I can't say the same for fixing failed BGA chips on laptop
motherboards).

I think what you're referring to is the relative cost of building a
computer from replacement components versus buying a package. For
entertainment, I sometimes add up the prices of *ALL* the replacement
boards, case parts, modules, and pieces that comprise a machine. I
haven't done this for perhaps 8 years, but last time I checked, I
could build an Apple G3 laptop for only 10 times the cost of a new G3
laptop. PC's aren't much better, where I vaguely recall an HP
something laptop parts collection also costing 10 times the
replacement parts cost (not including assembly and repair labour).

Long ago, I worked for a radio manufactory. We sold a $0.50
transistor for about $5.00. Most of the added cost was picking,
boxing, shipping, insurance, handling, billing, etc. I once
calculated that the cost of shipping an empty box (no contents) was
about $75. It's probably higher today. I convinced sales to only
sell small transistors in lots of 25 pieces. The delivered price was
the same as a single piece price, $5.00. Later, we were selling 100
piece parts kits to the dealers for not much more. In other words,
the parts were worthless, but the overhead is where the money was
hidden. A new LCD panel from Dell, might be worth only $150, but cost
perhaps $400 because of handing, stocking, flooring, inventory,
packaging, executive compensation package, etc.

Ayup.