Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Why can't electronics on new washers & dryers be tougher?

I don't know what happened to that GE oven. Maybe it was scrapped.
They told me everything goes back to the manufactuer. It went back
with a little "extra" -- a note taped to the inside top of the cabinet
with the burned relay firmly affixed.

Did they read it? Do they care? I have no idea. It made me feel better
to have left it there, if for no other reason than its discovery would
tell them that someone, somewhere really wanted to fix it instead of
just buying another.

What's pathetic about this is that the dealer has to provide a service --
out of simple courtesy to the customer -- that the manufacturer should
supply.

Given how cheap such products are, and how little profit the retailers make,
manufacturers should be willing to absorb the costs of providing cheap
out-of-warranty repairs.