Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh[_2_] William R. Walsh[_2_] is offline

Default Why can't electronics on new washers & dryers be tougher?

Hi!

Ah, yes, now that's a slightly different problem. Were I to find
myself in that situation, and seek to take GE to court over their
failure to support their product, they'd presumably point to the spare
control panel, and claim that they were supporting it.

The control panel could have been purchased and the cost was not all
together unreasonable at the time. (It has since gone up.)

However, I was not about to discard an otherwise *working* panel for
want of a relay.

Taking them to court over something like this would surely involve
more of an expenditure than replacing the oven. As it is, I complained
to Best Buy and they did not give me any static about returning the
oven to them, selecting another and paying the difference.

I don't know what happened to that GE oven. Maybe it was scrapped.
They told me everything goes back to the manufactuer. It went back
with a little "extra"--a note taped to the inside top of the cabinet
with the burned relay firmly affixed.

Did they read it? Do they care? I have no idea. It made me feel better
to have left it there, if for no other reason than its discovery would
tell them that someone, somewhere really wanted to fix it instead of
just buying another.

William