Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_2_] Bob Minchin[_2_] is offline

Default Ouch- eletrocution

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 09:46:46 +0100, PeterC wrote:

I wondere if the line was DC, but when he stood up he was close to the
line and then he had to touch it so...

Others have mentioned DC or AC at 25kV. How far will 25Kv jump in dry air?
Note jump not sustain an arc once it has started.

The sound is of two bangs. Other arcs that I've seen on youtube etc on AC
systems have a definate buzz sound. Of course the explosive vaporisation
of body fluids will make quite a bang and could mask any AC buzz.

I seem to recall 30kV per centimetre between pointed electrodes from way
way back. Don't know if this is correct or my memory has gone out of
calibration over the years! lol
Obviously humidity will make a big difference so I suspect my figure
would have been in dry air.
Bob