Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default Video inspection of sewer lines

"BetaB4" wrote in
:

wrote:
I forgot to mention....bug the city to install a clean out at the
edge of your property and make sure that their line is located and
clear.

Will do. They have actually been very easy and freindly to work with,
so I may end up working that out with them. One thing they did say
was that their existing main sewer line is probably old "terra
cotta"(sp?) so it cannot be detected directly with a metal detector.
So I guess to locate the line they would have to run something into
the line that a detector could pick up. My street was actually all
marked out already for gas lines, water lines, etc. by the State
because they were repaving most of the street and redoing curbs nearby
about a year ago. My property is one of 4 in a row and the other 3
have green marking for where the curb vent is located. Mine shows no
green markings.

Terra cotta is clay pipe. Similar to the mediterranean style (orange)
roof tiles. It is very good, but somewhat brittle. Plus, tree roots can
find the seams and grow in, thus cracking the stuff. It's what my
sewerline (1929, so now 80 years old) was made of.

--
Best regards
Han