Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default IC Light Fixture too hot to touch

wrote in message
I replaced two recessed light fixtures with IC fixtures (Halo H5ICAT
Air-Tite IC Housing) so I can insulate the attic around them. After I
was done with lights and fiberglass insualtion , but before I closed
up the attic floor, I touched them both and they were quite hot. I'm
using 60watt lightbulbs, which is well within the limit shown on the
IC fixture instructions (75watt Max). Is this normal? Now I'm
worried about letting the insualtion sit around them. I cannot build
a box around them, and the intent was to stop the drafts from coming
down the recessed light housings, so I want this to work. All advice
appreciated.

Anthony

They're hot because they are dissipating their heat through the aluminum
housing. It's normal. If they get too hot the thermal cutout will turn them
off.