Posted to alt.home.repair

Default IC Light Fixture too hot to touch

I replaced two recessed light fixtures with IC fixtures (Halo H5ICAT
Air-Tite IC Housing) so I can insulate the attic around them. After I
was done with lights and fiberglass insualtion , but before I closed
up the attic floor, I touched them both and they were quite hot. I'm
using 60watt lightbulbs, which is well within the limit shown on the
IC fixture instructions (75watt Max). Is this normal? Now I'm
worried about letting the insualtion sit around them. I cannot build
a box around them, and the intent was to stop the drafts from coming
down the recessed light housings, so I want this to work. All advice
appreciated.

Anthony

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I replaced two recessed light fixtures with IC fixtures (Halo H5ICAT
Air-Tite IC Housing) so I can insulate the attic around them. After I
was done with lights and fiberglass insualtion , but before I closed
up the attic floor, I touched them both and they were quite hot. I'm
using 60watt lightbulbs, which is well within the limit shown on the
IC fixture instructions (75watt Max). Is this normal? Now I'm
worried about letting the insualtion sit around them. I cannot build
a box around them, and the intent was to stop the drafts from coming
down the recessed light housings, so I want this to work. All advice
appreciated.

Anthony

They're hot because they are dissipating their heat through the aluminum
housing. It's normal. If they get too hot the thermal cutout will turn them
off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wrote to CooperLighting (Halo's manufacturer), who advises the same.
Thanks, RBM.

....The temperature that the H5ICAT can reach is up to 90 degree
Celsius
before the thermal protection shuts off the fixture. If you were
using
too high wattage of a lamp, the fixture would shut off, come back on
after it cools, and then turn off again when it gets too hot (commonly
called cycling). Always follow the lamping listed for that trim on
the
label inside the housing. The H5ICAT is rated for direct contact with
insulation and combustible material, so there is no need for concern.

Sincerely,

KS
Technical Support Engineer
Cooper Lighting