Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default OTA antenna mount

Larry,

First off you may wish to start with this:
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Welcome.aspx

Also you may wish to consider that the neighborhood can't prevent you from
erecting a tower if that is your desire, federal law trumps local ordinance
here unless you do not own your back yard.

Good luck.

--
Roger Shoaf

"GoHabsGo" wrote in message
05.209...
I need to mount my new TV antenna on my house. There is no way
a tower would go over in my neighborhood, so let's not get into that
discussion. I would like to mount the antenna near the peak. I don't
have a chimney. The house is quite high being a two storey house plus
the basement is only half buried. The peak of the house has a gable end
at both sides.

Looking at the construction from the inside, I can't really tell if the
eave is sturdy or not since they have boxed it in all the way to the roof.

I kind of want to avoid installing anything that will penetrate the
shingles, but have seen the Commdeck mounting device which looks
intriguing. Any users out there?

My first thought was to get an eave mount kit which consists of a bracket
at the peak and a longer bracket lower down which spans from one eave to
the other and the antenna mast attaches to the middle of both brackets.
How would I attach that to the eave, and how can I tell if the eave is
strong enough to hold it?

I was also considering a J-mount, like one that is used for satellite
dishes but don't think that the eave is wide enough to mount it vertically
in any spot near the peak. Would it be possible to mount a J-mount to the
side of the house - there are 2x8's vertically at intervals in the gable
end, but the exterior is finished with vinyl siding.

Any other ideas are welcome but keep in mind that this antenna is about
41" x 33" and I also want to mount a rotor on this mount.

Let me know how you would attack this task!

Thanks,

Larry