Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default OT Neighbor (rant)

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Corporations - and citizens - rely on voluntary contracts. But there
must be SOME enforcement mechanism. The only businesses that have
the wherewithal to enforce these contracts themselves are
Mafia-related. To the extent these contracts need enforcement,
governments were created. Therefore, governments exist to SERVE
corporations (and business), not to suppress them.

I view government in this case more of a referee. They aren't there
to serve either side, but just to make sure both sides play by the
rules and to arbite the occassional dust-up.

Exactly my point. A neat book on the subject is "Systems of Belief" in which
the author contrasted the "Commercial" mindset vs. the "Guardian" mindset.
The two operate way differently and we really have to beware applying the
techniques of one to the provinces of the other.

For example, bonuses, commissions, and quotas do not work well in government
(such as in traffic enforcement), or, more recently, the president's plan to
implement a "wage czar" to regulate executive pay. Likewise, secrecy,
deceit, and distrust don't work well in business.

Possibly the worst thing one can do is believe expertise in one arena
translates to the other. That is, don't EVER vote for someone who touts his
success in business as a qualifying factor for elective office.