Posted to sci.electronics.repair
AZ Nomad[_2_] AZ Nomad[_2_] is offline

Default Why can't electronics on new washers & dryers be tougher?

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 10:38:51 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote:
With respect to good customer service...

Last year I bought a really nice GE (ie, Thomson) DECT 6.0 telephone system.
(It works very well, and is easy to use, quite unlike a Uniden unit I'd
bought and returned. It's unusual to see a product where someone has
actually paid attention to the shape, size, layout, and grouping of the
controls.)

One of the cordless handset batteries was defective. GE would not simply
replace the battery -- I was supposed to return the entire unit! When I
asked to simply purchase the battery, I learned it cost around $20 (that's
for two AAA NiMH cells), and wasn't in stock anyway!

Circuit City treated me well, swapping out the bad battery. Of course,
Circuit City was then obliged to return a complete "defective" unit, which
is not the way things are supposed to work!

no wonder they're out of business.