Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh[_2_] William R. Walsh[_2_] is offline

Default Why can't electronics on new washers & dryers be tougher?

Hi!

Yes, and maybe the real problem was that the price asked
for the replacement part would make the repair uneconomic.

When I called GE Appliances, the people I spoke to were professional
and courteous. They really tried to help. I cannot fault them. A
control panel was the smallest part of the assembly available. Daewoo
built the oven for them, so this doesn't come as a terrible surprise.

I never did think to ask about a slight extension of the warranty, a
pro-rated repair or even something where GE might pay for the part and
I'd pay for the repair (which means "do it myself").

Having struck out with GE, I tried to see if I could find a source for
the G5G-1A relay. I didn't even get that done, so finally I turned to
OMRON themselves. Proving that I'm something of an eternal optimist, I
felt they would send/sell me *one* piece as a gesture of goodwill
toward a potential customer.

That they would not do. To top it off, by the time I got the person
who could make that decision, they were exceptionally rude and
absolutely unwilling to do anything.

But you know what? That's fine. Next time someone comes up to me and
says "oh golly, I'm designing this thing that will be mass produced
and uses a relay" I will think for a bit, smile and say "whatever you
do, don't buy the parts from OMRON". Two can play that game! :-)

In the end, I made my case to my mother, dealt with Best Buy (who were
excellent about the whole thing!) and purchased the oven I felt she
should have bought to start with. I would have considered a
workaround, but I was tired of the whole thing and never liked that
oven anyway.

William