Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

On Jun 5, 2:18*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Jun 5, 2:39*pm, Steve Turner wrote:

Morris Dovey wrote:
Curious Man wrote:
There seems to be a stereotype that "liberals" are the lazy sorts of
people who interrupt TV viewing only to go to soup lines, or smoke
harmful substances, whereas "conservatives" are hard working, self
reliant people who are very well off due to their own perseverance and
work ethic.

And yet, the few self proclaimed or suspected liberals and Obama
supporters of this newsgroup, seem to be very well off, accomplished
people, whereas many conservatives, while intelligent and interesting
people on many levels, are not exactly above that kind of level of
attainment.

If that is the case, is that perhaps the time to reconsider our
stereotypes?

I've always thought that "conservative" meant "not in favor of changing
some established norm"; and that "liberal" indicated a willingness to
try new approaches...

I had a seventh grade teacher who gave my class some interesting
guidance: "I don't want you to have closed minds, nor do I want you to
have open minds," he said, "I want you to have /openable/ minds - to
hold to what you know to be true, and to be prepared to replace the old
ideas when you gave good reason to /decide/ that something is more true
or works better."

Does that make one a conservative liberal or a liberal conservative?

Whatever it is, I'm one of 'em. *:-)

To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Yup. Me too. From a business perspective I'm a conservative. Small
government, low taxes, yadda, yadda. I'm anti abortion, but pro-
choice. I defend the right to own weapons. I think there should be a
central health-care system open to all, but more open to those who can
afford it, as long as it doesn't displace somebody from a list who
needs care. Cancer treatment is one thing, cancer treatment at a
country-club should be an option if you have the money.
I saw what you Americans can do when my sister needed the best of
care, and my hat is off to you for that kind of quality.
I am also aware of the bankruptcies caused by basic old-age care in
your fine country.
So I guess I'm a pinko-commie-librul when it comes to taking care of
those old people who built the countries we get to enjoy.
I was originally taken in by Bush's rhetoric on 'compassionate
conservatives' just to find out he was lying warmongering megalomaniac
who had an inferiority complex to the point that all he wanted to do
was please his daddy...how sick was that?
Bush did more to set back the concept conservatism than anybody I can
think of.

Put me in the middle, but don't call me a moderate-anything, because
that ****es me off. I'm quite vehement about those things I think are
right. I try to advance the technology in work-surface products and
now teach the skills at a local college to those who also think this
can be a real business. Now... here comes the funny part. The college
wanted to pay me. I passed. Not because I was feeling particularly
benevolent, but I would have to spend more money for somebody to fill
out the paperwork for the current government than I stood to make from
the whole project. WHICH makes me a non-liberal.

Ha!!

Good post.

FYI...it was recently noted that 60% of the personal bankruptcies are
due to medical costs.

TMT