Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Video inspection of sewer lines

On Jun 4, 6:10*pm, "BetaB4" wrote:
I have a sewer line that has been clogging up several times over the past 6
weeks or so, and I would like to be able to figure out exactly what's going
on. *I know one option is to pay someone to come out and do the video
inspection, but I have heard that can be fairly expensive. *Does anyone know
of any less expensive ways that I can do this myself? *For example, are
there any tool rental places that rent the equipment to do a video
inspection?

The actual situation with the sewer line is a little complicated and hard to
explain. *Basically, the line clogs at around 45 feet past where the sewer
line runs out of the house. *I know this from my own efforts at trying to
unclog it and having a 50-foot snake that hits a clog at around 45 feet. *I
also had a plumber come out and clear the line twice in a two-week period,
and both times it took about 45 feet of *drain snake before they hit and
cleared the clog. *The town's sewer department came out and cleared the main
line twice in two weeks after that, and they too agreed that the clog is out
there somewhere. *But everyone, including them, is unclear about exactly
where my line goes and where the main line goes.

My property is one of 4 attached 2-family duplexes in a row. *My proper is
and end-unit duplex and my line appears to go out to the beginning of a main
sewer line rather than tying into a main line that goes in both directions
from where my line ties into it. *My proper -- for some unknown reason -- *
does not have a curb vent. *It is possible that it used to have a curb vent
but the vent is now located under a roadway after the roadway was widened a
long time ago. *The other 3 attached properties have curb vents and appear
to tie into the main line in a T-type fashion. *The only maps the town has
of where the main lines are pre-date when these buildings were built, so no
main lines are shown on the map. *The maps are from 1937 and the buildings
were built after that.

I am not really posting this part to try to get people to figure out where
the main line is, or even to try to figure out what the problem is. *I'm
just including that to give an idea that there is something goofy about the
whole setup. *That's why I would like to see if I can do some kind of
low-cost video inspection of the line -- assuming that there is some way for
me to do that.

And, yes, there is one tree about 40-feet down the street in front of
another property and above where the main line goes. *So, I suspect that is
where the problem is. *There are no other trees or bushes in the area.

So, the bottom line question is, does anyone know of any low-cost ways to do
some kind of video inspection of the sewer line? *I doubt that there is any
way other than to pay someone to do it, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

Who have you called and what was the price quote?

Joe