Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default OT Neighbor (rant)

aemeijers wrote:
cshenk wrote:
"cshenk" wrote

She emailed back a small list today. It's easy stuff and she said
she'd get all the parts (needed help on a few of them on what to get)
and bring a whole pork loin to the next picnic for goodies. Grin, I
like her ethics!

Follow-up. Don went over on one of the small ones today about noon
because it needed to be measured. Cracked doorbell. He pulled it
out, measured bolt width, and showed her exactly what to get. Since
she needed to make a quick run anyway to a grocery (next to the big
box), she took him and they got one that fits the old holes
perfectly. He had it on in 5 mins and showed her how to do that.

I know these simple things are easy for *us* here, but due to her
upbringing and her age (she's 19 on her own for the first time with
husband deployed) there many things she's just not done 'yet'.

Chuckle. So you have picked up a step-daughter for the next year. Shame
her mom and dad didn't teach her any basic household repairs growing
up. Sadly, even today, that is usually considered a 'guy' thing. On my
occasional visits back home, my mother and little sisters always had a
list of stuff to fix. I tried to teach my little sisters a few basics,
and I think a little of it actually did stick.

--
aem sends...

My dad would cuss the first time a screwdriver slipped off the screw,
throw the tool and be done with it. My mom built her own kitchen
cabinets, will millwork shop cutting wood for her. Put them up herself.
I was force-fed "Walt's Workshop" when I was a kid ... grrrr. Didn't
like it then, but love TOH, Fine Woodworking and just about anything I
don't know how to do. My hubby and I have had a lot of discussions
about brain vs. brawn - he has a lot more muscle, but I have to engineer
the heavy stuff (that I do when he isn't around because he wouldn't want
it done )

I was fascinated in grade school by the guys who washed windows of our
school, standing on the outside of the window-sill...seemed pretty close
to Superman stuff at the time because the windows were about 10' tall )