Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default OT Neighbor (rant) now Katrena response

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

As I remember, Hurricane Katrena. The churches,
corporations, Red Cross, etc. Tried to go to the aid of the
people in New Orleans. FEMA blocked and prevented them at
every turn. I remember listening to the radio in Rochester
NY. The fire department of Rochester had some rescue
equipment. They were about to leave, and someone from FEMA
called, and told them not to come.

FEMA blocked those who were trying to freelance. Red Cross and
those who had actual knowledge of the plans and were able to communicate
with Fed, STATE, and LOCAL agencies and could sustain themselves were
let in.
The absolute last thing you need in these situations are a bunch
of untrained, more importantly unsupported, groups running around. All
three levels screwed the pooch on Katrina (largely because they followed
their set plans to the letter), but this is one place where I would have
to disagree. You get the freelancers and quite often they become an
additional burden and you have to divert resources from operations to
saving them.

--
The inevitable Godwinization of Usenet threads is a principle
as immutable as Newton's Third Law meaning that, for every action