Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Installing Drywall on Ceiling

On Jun 3, 11:03*pm, "Bob(but not THAT Bob)"
wrote:
RicodJour wrote:

On Jun 3, 7:43 pm, "Bob(but not THAT Bob)" wrote:
Sammy wrote:

Thanks for the reply. *The heads on the screws seem to be so small.
Won't the drywall just push down over them given time? *How far apart
should the screws be in the 2x4 they will be screwed into?

2x4s?

What's the span?

I think 2x4s are only rated for about 4-5ft. max.

Trusses are most commonly made with 2x4 stock. *The span can be quite
large.

Guess I missed the part about it being a truss.

It's unclear what the construction is. You were questioning the span
with 2x4s, seeming to indicate you were assuming it was a 2x4 joist,
and I was pointing out that it could be a truss. Only the OP knows
for sure.

The wood species, live and dead loads and deflection requirements also
have a lot to do with the allowable span. With a 10 PSF live load, a
5 PSF dead load, southern pine, #2 grade 2x4s at 16" on center, and a
1/240 deflection limit the allowable span is a bit over 11 feet.

Obviously that's way more information than the OP will have on hand,
so there's really no point asking. When in doubt, send them to an
engineer.