Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Default Why can't electronics on new washers & dryers be tougher?

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Steve Barker wrote:

I've never seen a microwave quit for any reason. AND if it did, i'd get
out another $69 and buy a new one.

And another piece of Chinese crap, a year later? I see a pile of
dead microwaves every time I haul my recyclables to the landfill. I
have a brand new Westinghouse microwave, still in the carton, but I
prefer the 20 year old one, because it is higher power, and cooks
better.

i repaired some microwaves, 20+ years ago, because they were worth
repairing. They used stainless steel for the interior, so you didn't get
peeling paint, and rust inside. The only bad thing was they had no
turntable, ut you could buy an all plastic windup turntable for about
$4.

I have found turntables to be ineffective if there is no RF stirrer
overhead; the turntable simply moves food in and out of a stationary
beam instead of distributing the beam around the cavity.

It's too bad that newer ovens eschew the stirrer in favor of the
cheap turntable alternative.

Michael