Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default OT Neighbor (rant)

Nate Nagel wrote:
Kyle wrote:
On Jun 1, 6:38 pm, "L. Guteireze" wrote:
Greetings

I'm retired from the construction industry, but not yet retired.

We live in a neighborhood, where people help their neighbors, we have
neighborhood cookouts & such. Though retired from construction, people
still ask me to repair this or that, some drywall work, odd job etc. I
always attempt to help people out, and if I find it's going to be a
project
which will take time, I refer them to a contact. When I do work, its
for a
modest charge, because I no longer hold a license, or carry insurance.

A younger couple moved into the neighborhood. They wanted a deck & patio
door replaced. After asking around, a few neighbors pointed them my way.
Being up front, I told them I would _help_, but wouldn't give them a
price
on anything.

They came up with a 14'x16' deck design, I drew it up, so they could
get a
permit. I set up batter boards and strung it out for the post holes
(6 of
them). The deck was going over part of a concrete patio, so I had him
rent
a concrete saw to remove where 4 holes were going to be placed. I cut
out 4
areas 12"x12" for these holes. My first sign this guy was cheap, was
when
he started bitching about how much the saw cost along with the blade. I
helped the fella run the auger, called to have the holes inspected,
poured
the concrete, set the beams & all floor joists. He wanted to install the
flooring himself, and I showed him how to do some railing, because he
wanted a built in gate within the railing. When it came time for the
steps,
I figured them out & cut them for him. After the deck was completed, his
wife started complaining the deck was too _small_. It was their design,
with them saying how big they wanted it.

For the patio door, I still have aluminum coil stock, and an aluminum
brake
to bend for flashing under the new door, and on top for a _z_
flashing. I
set the french doors, which he & his dad were the helpers.

So he says he will have a cook out when it's all done. I never discussed
getting paid, and I really don't want a dime for it. He said he will
have a
cook out when everything was done. Well, he did, several of them, and
didn't invite myself or my family to join. He didn't invite anyone in
the
neighborhood, just some drunken _friends_ from his old neighborhood.
This
was last year when the work was completed. I just wonder where these
friends were, when the work was being done.

Fast forward to this year. He wanted to borrow my sawzall, I told him I
don't loan tools.

Now my lawnmower recently died. This guy bought a new Scag zero turn
this
year. He seen my brother bring over his mower for me to use. The guy
walked
over, said I should have asked him, for he would cut my yard for a
mere $30
a pop. I was totally stunned, he would even suggest he would charge
me. The
fella doesn't cut grass for a living, this is his toy, and I know it was
expensive, but geez. Not only that, several people in the
neighborhood have
different companies cut their yards for $20, and all these lots are
similar
in size.

Am I getting a taste of the "me" generation?

I know, I should just get over it.

My wife's late aunt (a missionary) used to say you're earning "crowns
in heaven".

I think it's harder to accept selfishness in people when you're a
selfless person, because you hope you would be a good influence on
others. But you don't know what kind of seeds you have planted in this
couple or in others by your being willing to give of your time and
efforts and talent. There's a cumulative effect here, and at some
point we can hope/pray that this couple will have that epiphany, that
"ah-hah!" moment when they see what others have done for them and what
they've refused to do for others.

Keep hope alive!

You know what the odd thing is, is I'm fairly handy (ought to be
obvious, as often people will see me on a Saturday morning underneath
some vehicle or other - when it's not raining at least) but I can't
remember any of my neighbors asking me to help them with anything around
the house. I'd be happy to help, at least until I start feeling used...
we all have to save money for stuff we CAN'T do ourselves these days...

nate

I think there are a lot of people who truly would offer help more but
don't have any confidence in their own ability...kind of "I'm no good"
thinking. People used to tell my mom she was artistic and creative, and
she would get irritated at that because she didn't think she knew how to
do anything that everyone else could do if they tried ) I still have
a little bundle of newspaper clippings she started collecting as a
teenager - 1920's - all sorts of "how to" stuff....build a bird house,
order chicks to raise, etc.