Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default OT Neighbor (rant)

"Nate Nagel" wrote
Kyle wrote:

My wife's late aunt (a missionary) used to say you're earning "crowns
in heaven".

Yup!

You know what the odd thing is, is I'm fairly handy (ought to be obvious,
as often people will see me on a Saturday morning underneath some vehicle
or other - when it's not raining at least) but I can't remember any of my
neighbors asking me to help them with anything around the house. I'd be
happy to help, at least until I start feeling used... we all have to save
money for stuff we CAN'T do ourselves these days...

Well, sometimes the 'can't' is just 'heck, never used a hammer in my life'.

This came up this past weekend. We host the local neighborhood cookouts
because we have the best screened porch and a decent grill. Happens 2-3
times a month. Folks swap stories and just have a good time for 3-4 hours
then walk home.

One of our regulars brought along a new next door neighbor who's renting the
house of one of our other 'regulars' while he's in an overseas billet
(Navy). Turns out the back raised wood porch was going bad in just a few
spots. Lady renting has her husband out at sea and she'd never done more
than hang pictures. Sweet thing and not stupid, just hadn't ever had to
deal with it.

With all my repairs after my renters, I still have about 16 PT suitable
boards so we grabbed the 5 she said she thought she needed and walked down
(regular guy next to her had the tools). Took us 7 about 45 mins which
included trotting back for a 6th board as I didnt like the look of 2 stair
steps.

Grin, in fact it would have gone faster with fewer of us but we had fun
anyways!

We emailed our friend who's renting out his house and told him it wasn't a
color match to the stain but it should hold and be safe for the newly
walking child the renters had. His response was a happy 'thank you guys!'
and a reminder to her to ask us if she runs into anything as we are apt to
be able to fix it.

She emailed back a small list today. It's easy stuff and she said she'd get
all the parts (needed help on a few of them on what to get) and bring a
whole pork loin to the next picnic for goodies. Grin, I like her ethics!

Sometimes, you win-win...