Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Why can't electronics on new washers & dryers be tougher?

wrote:

Looking at the size of traces or components on an electronic circuit
board is just about meaningless. Almost all of these today are
digital, which work on signals of micro amps.

Bull****. low currents, yes, but you need to read some datasheets. I
worked at a manufacturer of top of the line telemetry equipment. Traces
that are very thin are prone to stress cracks. My specialty was the
embedded controller computer board we built in house, and they had to be
reliable. They controlled the equipment NASA uses to track their
launches, and all their satellites.

The only areas
carrying any current of substance, typically are driving a relay,
solenoid, etc. or part of the power supply, if that happens to be on
the board. That area of the board does need to have the proper size
trace.

I'm happy that I never had to work with you. A washer or dryer is a
damp environment, with continuous vibration, while in use. Potting will
keep most of the moisture away, but that can cause SMD components to be
pulled off the board. A sealed container is better, but can add to the
vibration problems, due to the extra weight.