Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Why can't electronics on new washers & dryers be tougher?

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
"brassplyer" wrote in message
For as many years as this technology has been around, why can't the
control circuitry be made more bulletproof?

Hmmm, do you think companies WANT their products to last forever? Of
COURSE these circuits can be made bulletproof, but have you heard of
"planned obsolescence"? Washing machine companies want to sell washing
machines. That means people's old washing machines need to irreparably
break. So,

That is part of what got theAmerican car companies in trouble.
Also no one wants to pay more for a good product.

The old Comodore computer company had a replacement policy where you could
send the computer to them and they would repair it for a flat fee. They had
some unskilled labor to open up the case , throw out the electronics and
install new electronics. The new board cost them $ 50, the repair cost to
coustomers was around $ 70 to $ 80.
Cheeper to throw out the whole exectronics and replace it than the labor to
repair them.

I've obtained a lot of electronic stuff for free that only
needed simple repairs. I get computer mother boards that
cost $100.00 new and all they need is a keyboard fuse that
is easy (for me) to replace. A lot of people who claim the
title "service technician" have no idea how to repair a
circuit board. Many of the problems I see with modern gear
are caused by cold solder joints on the circuit boards.

TDD