Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Lanciani Dan Lanciani is offline

Default Strance A/C problem

In article , (Jud McCranie) writes:
| On 29 May 2009 20:55:36 GMT, ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) wrote:
|
| Probably, but I'd still be concerned about what is turning them on.
| If it is a damaged defrost control as I previously suggested it might
| return to its behavior of shutting off the outside fan.
|
| Until I can have it checked out, can the heat strips be disconnected
| at the thermostat?

It depends on how the wires are run. On my system (ignoring for the
moment control wiring that I've added) there is a wire from the outside
unit to the inside air handler and another from the thermostat to the
air handler. To disconnect the secondary heat I'd have to unsplice
the wires at the air handler.

| Does the defrost controller tell the thermostat to
| turn on the heat strips?

That's very unlikely.

| Last year the repairman said that the
| thermostat was calling for aux heat. It could have been the defrost
| controller telling the thermostat to do that?

It could have been the defrost control turning on the heat strips
directly. Keeping track of such things is why I have the extra
LED hooked up...

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com