Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Identify lawn weeds

On May 31, 1:24*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2009 12:55:14 -0400, Tony Sivori
wrote:

Like Demons, they seem to be easier to kill once you know their name. * :-)

Weed #1

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...Cy5g?feat=dire....

Oxalis

Weed #2

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...QEyQ?feat=dire....

Located in Zone 6, Louisville KY

Looks like Purslane from here. * * *In my book, they aren't weeds,
they're salad greens. * * The oxalis is a biting little thing that
brightens up a salad - especially if you're Irish.

The purslane is good raw or cooked. *When cooked it acts like okra and
adds that gooey texture.

Search for purslane recipe and you'll find hundreds of ways to eat
this one.

Jim
[and have your soil tested and balance the nutrients and you'll
probably get rid of both as they like 'poor' soil]

You can also treat your lawn with corn meal - it inhibits broadleaf
germination.

But I agree with Jim. We're omnivores - if you want to get rid of
something, eat it.

You know that pigeon problem we have in cities all over? Well, I was
in Egypt recently and saw some of these structures: http://www.jpgmag.com/photos/11529
The occupants end up he
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=adma.1F9hF_o