Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Identify lawn weeds

Like Demons, they seem to be easier to kill once you know their name. :-)

Weed #1

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Weed #2

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Located in Zone 6, Louisville KY

--
Tony Sivori
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sun, 31 May 2009 12:55:14 -0400, Tony Sivori
wrote:

Like Demons, they seem to be easier to kill once you know their name. :-)

Weed #1

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Oxalis

Weed #2

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Located in Zone 6, Louisville KY

Looks like Purslane from here. In my book, they aren't weeds,
they're salad greens. The oxalis is a biting little thing that
brightens up a salad - especially if you're Irish.

The purslane is good raw or cooked. When cooked it acts like okra and
adds that gooey texture.

Search for purslane recipe and you'll find hundreds of ways to eat
this one.

Jim
[and have your soil tested and balance the nutrients and you'll
probably get rid of both as they like 'poor' soil]
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Tony Sivori wrote:
Like Demons, they seem to be easier to kill once you know their name. :-)

Weed #1

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Weed #2

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Located in Zone 6, Louisville KY

Some people in the government have been trying to
rid the country of that second weed for some time
but it keeps showing up like a bad penny. *snicker*

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

I definitely have that first one, because not 10 minutes ago I sprayed
some with Roundup.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

Like Demons, they seem to be easier to kill once you know their name. * :-)

Weed #1

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...Cy5g?feat=dire....

Oxalis

Weed #2

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...QEyQ?feat=dire....

Located in Zone 6, Louisville KY

Looks like Purslane from here. * * *In my book, they aren't weeds,
they're salad greens. * * The oxalis is a biting little thing that
brightens up a salad - especially if you're Irish.

The purslane is good raw or cooked. *When cooked it acts like okra and
adds that gooey texture.

Search for purslane recipe and you'll find hundreds of ways to eat
this one.

Jim
[and have your soil tested and balance the nutrients and you'll
probably get rid of both as they like 'poor' soil]

You can also treat your lawn with corn meal - it inhibits broadleaf
germination.

But I agree with Jim. We're omnivores - if you want to get rid of
something, eat it.

You know that pigeon problem we have in cities all over? Well, I was
in Egypt recently and saw some of these structures: http://www.jpgmag.com/photos/11529
The occupants end up he
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=adma.1F9hF_o

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Oxalis

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Looks like Purslane from here. In my book, they aren't weeds, they're
salad greens. The oxalis is a biting little thing that brightens up a
salad - especially if you're Irish.

The purslane is good raw or cooked. When cooked it acts like okra and
adds that gooey texture.

Search for purslane recipe and you'll find hundreds of ways to eat this
one.

Jim
[and have your soil tested and balance the nutrients and you'll probably
get rid of both as they like 'poor' soil]

Thank you. After a Google I know what herbicides are most likely to work
on them. Looks like the Oxalis (a.k.a. Wood Sorrel) might be the most
difficult of the two.

--
Tony Sivori
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Oxalis

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Looks like Purslane from here. In my book, they aren't weeds, they're
salad greens. The oxalis is a biting little thing that brightens up a
salad - especially if you're Irish.

The purslane is good raw or cooked. When cooked it acts like okra and
adds that gooey texture.

Search for purslane recipe and you'll find hundreds of ways to eat this
one.

Jim
[and have your soil tested and balance the nutrients and you'll probably
get rid of both as they like 'poor' soil]

Thank you. After a Google I know what herbicides are most likely to work
on them. Looks like the Oxalis (a.k.a. Wood Sorrel) might be the most
difficult of the two.

Hell, I just let the sorrel fill in the bare patches in my yard. It's a
hell of a lot nicer than chickweed, mile-a-minute vine, poke plants, or
this other weedy thing that I haven't identified yet... I figure if I
let it grow it'll choke out all the REALLY bad stuff.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"Tony Sivori" wrote in message
news

wrote:
[...]

I get something like the 2nd one in my backyard garden. Very easy to pull
up. Why use poisons?

Clover is very easy to just pull up too. If it's in your lawn just weed it,
let the yard take over. Just use common sense.

Instead of herbicides, use compost and feed your lawn so the weeds don't
have any place to grow.

mt

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Master Tang wrote:

I get something like the 2nd one in my backyard garden. Very easy to
pull up. Why use poisons?

Clover is very easy to just pull up too. If it's in your lawn just weed
it, let the yard take over. Just use common sense.

Instead of herbicides, use compost and feed your lawn so the weeds don't
have any place to grow.

In a third of an acre lawn, my back just isn't up to weeding it by hand as
I might do in a small garden. Also, some of the weeds that I have, among
them Wild Violet, pulling them up is all but impossible.

What I am doing to minimize chemical use is spraying with a two gallon
hand pump sprayer. That way I spray the weeds only, rather than the easier
way of using a garden hose attached broadcast sprayer to soak the whole
lawn.

--
Tony Sivori
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

[...]

Or smoke it. The police will come and pull it all up.

You know that pigeon problem we have in cities all over? Well, I was
in Egypt recently and saw some of these structures:
http://www.jpgmag.com/photos/11529
The occupants end up he
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=adma.1F9hF_o

LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Nate Nagel wrote:
Hell, I just let the sorrel fill in the bare patches in my yard.

That is pretty much what is happening in my case. It is just my second
Summer in this house and it was previously a repo. So the lawn was well
neglected.

Last year it was overrun by dandelions and wild violets. I've put a dent
in the violets (Bayer Bush Killer Plus gets fair results on this hard to
kill weed), and I've 95% exterminated the dandelions. I did seed last
Fall, but the sorrel seems to be occupying the bare patches where the seed
didn't take.

--
Tony Sivori
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 31, 12:55*pm, Tony Sivori wrote:
Like Demons, they seem to be easier to kill once you know their name. * :-)

Weed #1

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...Cy5g?feat=dire....

Weed #2

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...QEyQ?feat=dire....

Located in Zone 6, Louisville KY

--
Tony Sivori

If its green I let it grow. The healthier my lawn gets the less of
this kind of thing I have in it. Until I get a well established lawn
these weeds fill in the bare spots.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

[...]

My vegetarian, semi-vegetarian, and lapsed vegetarian sisters all do
that. I always pack various antacids and other tummy potions when I
visit them- most of the strange-to-me veggies they serve me taste okay
going down, but some of them give me monster heartburn an hour later.
And yes, the salad bowl usually looks like the bottom of my wheelbarrow
after cleaning up the yard. I tend to agree with the rabbits- if the
leaf has pointy things and a sharp taste, eat something else if available.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Tony Sivori said:

Like Demons, they seem to be easier to kill once you know their name.

:-)

Weed #1

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...7tNIFgAgqCy5g?

feat=directlink

This is oxalis (AKA wood sorrel), most certainly. Edible, tart-flavored.
Persistant.

Weed #2

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...IDE70uwsMQEyQ?

feat=directlink

This is not purslane, it's chickweed.

It's a fall/winter sprouting weed, so spring pre-emergent herbicides are
not going to control it.

http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/steme.htm

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

-snip-
Weed #2

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

This is not purslane, it's chickweed.

Mea Culpa-- A second look and I retract my mis-identification as
purslane. Too bad-- Chickweed is also an edible weed- but I'd
much prefer purslane.

It's a fall/winter sprouting weed, so spring pre-emergent herbicides are
not going to control it.

http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/steme.htm

Probably doesn't need saying- but just in case. Make a choice of
nibbling or poisoning. Don't eat the plants if you're using an
herbicide.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Tony Sivori said:

Like Demons, they seem to be easier to kill once you know their name.
Weed #2

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...IDE70uwsMQEyQ?

feat=directlink

This is not purslane, it's chickweed.

Thanks for that. The Chickweed pictures that google brings up do match
perfectly.

--
Tony Sivori
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Probably doesn't need saying- but just in case. Make a choice of nibbling
or poisoning. Don't eat the plants if you're using an herbicide.

Reminds me of that old saying: "There are bold mushroom hunters, and there
are old mushroom hunters. But there are no old, bold, mushroom hunters."

--
Tony Sivori