Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default can you "touch up" with plasti-dip?

Nate Nagel wrote:
subject says all...

exact application is a used Thule roof rack, one of the cross bars has a
little chip in the rubbery coating, would prefer to buy a bottle of
Plasti-dip rather than a new, expen$ive cross bar (bought rack
used/cheap, wouldn't have paid the ~$800 for all new stuff)

just curious if the plasti-dip will bond properly to old rubberized
coating or should I just use paint and forget about trying to make it
look neat. I ASSume it will, and if I don't get a definitive reply I'll
try it anyway and post back

thanks

nate

What do you have to lose? It'll either work or it won't, and if it
doesn't, it won't look any worse than it does now. I'd swab it down with
something sort of solvent to degrease it and to slightly soften the
existing coating so the new stuff will bond. Those Thule racks are nice,
but they sure are expensive, like most yuppie niche products. My sisters
all have them on their little Subaru wagons, which are apparently
mandatory for crunchy granola yuppies like them.

--
aem sends...