Posted to alt.home.repair

Default can you "touch up" with plasti-dip?

subject says all...

exact application is a used Thule roof rack, one of the cross bars has a
little chip in the rubbery coating, would prefer to buy a bottle of
Plasti-dip rather than a new, expen$ive cross bar (bought rack
used/cheap, wouldn't have paid the ~$800 for all new stuff)

just curious if the plasti-dip will bond properly to old rubberized
coating or should I just use paint and forget about trying to make it
look neat. I ASSume it will, and if I don't get a definitive reply I'll
try it anyway and post back

thanks

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
subject says all...

exact application is a used Thule roof rack, one of the cross bars has a
little chip in the rubbery coating, would prefer to buy a bottle of
Plasti-dip rather than a new, expen$ive cross bar (bought rack
used/cheap, wouldn't have paid the ~$800 for all new stuff)

just curious if the plasti-dip will bond properly to old rubberized
coating or should I just use paint and forget about trying to make it
look neat. I ASSume it will, and if I don't get a definitive reply I'll
try it anyway and post back

thanks

nate

What do you have to lose? It'll either work or it won't, and if it
doesn't, it won't look any worse than it does now. I'd swab it down with
something sort of solvent to degrease it and to slightly soften the
existing coating so the new stuff will bond. Those Thule racks are nice,
but they sure are expensive, like most yuppie niche products. My sisters
all have them on their little Subaru wagons, which are apparently
mandatory for crunchy granola yuppies like them.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

I agree that they are somewhat of a yuppie flag, but they *are* well
made and sturdy. I tend to err on the side of bulletproof
overengineering, plus I have memories of my parents and their cheap bike
rack as a kid... on top of a Renault Encore no less I literally
saved my beloved Schwinn from an early death by grabbing it as it fell
off the bike rack while riding in said car (not sure why I was in the
front passenger seat, but I was) if we'd had air conditioning I would
have been mowing grass to get another bike I resolved if I ever got
a bike rack of my own it would be made of something sturdier and would
have proper fork mounts... (the actual failure was a downtube clamp that
was difficult to properly tighten)

Obviously I am not paying list price for this stuff, I am scavenging off
of Craigslist. That's one advantage to living in an urban area.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

I was referring to the Subaru Outbacks, not the bike racks on top of
them. I may see 2-3 in this blue collar town, but every college town
seems to have hundreds of them, and they aren't being driven by college
kids.

But, yes, a lot of the outbacks DO seem to have Thule or Yakima racks on
them. I think the Sub factory rails were designed to fit those brands.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 May 2009 10:55:44 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

subject says all...

exact application is a used Thule roof rack, one of the cross bars has a
little chip in the rubbery coating, would prefer to buy a bottle of
Plasti-dip rather than a new, expen$ive cross bar (bought rack
used/cheap, wouldn't have paid the ~$800 for all new stuff)

just curious if the plasti-dip will bond properly to old rubberized
coating or should I just use paint and forget about trying to make it
look neat. I ASSume it will, and if I don't get a definitive reply I'll
try it anyway and post back

thanks

nate

You can but my experience with Plasti-dip is that it's not very
durable when exposed to sun and the elements. But it's worth a try.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 11:01*am, Nate Nagel wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Square or aero shape? or round? Aluminum or steel?

not that any of those details matter

I gave my son out ancient Yakima rack system for bikes & he got the
parts to modify it for ski use. The rubbery (actually polyethylene)
on the cross tubes was damaged at the previous tower locations. They
were a little long for his car & suggested we cut them but he wanted
them long so he could load up a lot of stuff. Later he hooked an end
on something & bent the tube.

Replacement tubes are $70 / pair.....Thules are about the same I'd
guess.....I bit spendy for two pieces of coated pipes.

I doubt Plasti-dip will stick to your racks if the coating is
polyethylene as well....not much stick to that stuff.

if the racks are round (or any shape for that matter) you could pop
for some UV resistant heat shrink tubing but that stuff's not cheap
either.

cheers
Bob