Joe Gorman

Default How old is a Morgan 10A vise?

Actually, I found a set of left handed bits at harbor freight. Haven't
needed them yet, but as long as each bit lasts for the one or two screws
I'll need it for it's worth clogging up my toolbox withfor a while.
Joe

wrote:

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:52:40 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Silvan wrote:

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the bolts out. There are two
threaded metal plates that fit inside a slot in the fixed jaw. I can't
coax the plates out without removing the bolts, and they're broken off in
such a fashion that it's going to be a real bitch to get them out. If I
could weld, I'd tack a piece of rod to the end, but I can't, so I'm going
to have to come up with something else. Or cave in and take the thing to
work and get my boss to do it.

Lawrence A. Ramsey wrote:

Michael: Standard method is using left-handed drill bits and run your
drill in reverse. Have fun finding them and listening to the smart ass
answers you will get when you ask for them. As the drill bit bites, it
will both apply torque and heat up the bolt both actions help allow
the broken bolt to release. If you can't locate them, write me off

Go to Heavener Hardware, or the big box store of your choice
and ask for "easy outs". I know Heavener has them because
I bought one just a couple weeks ago. They are basically
hardened left-handed drills meant to extract broken off screws
or bolts. They come in several sizes and fit in a tap handle.
There is a drill size marked on the easy out that is the size
pilot hole you drill first. Some people call them
"screw extractors." Actually, if the size is approriate you
can borrow mine. Send me an e-mail and we can set up a
meeting.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.