Witchy

Default Bathroom lights - what's allowed/required?

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:39:30 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

The ceiling is quite high (thus the false T&G ceiling presents no
problem), it's distinctly more than the normal modern house ceiling
height.

The exact height of the ceiling is very important in determining the answer.
Can you measure it? It will reflect on which zone the ceiling is, in various
locations. The zone determines the IP rating required.

If we can assume that the ceiling is between 2.25m and 3m from the floor,
then it will be Zone 2 above the bath/shower, Zone 3 within 60cm of the
shower/bath and unzoned more than 60cm from the shower/bath. This means you
need IPX4 (where X is any number) fittings right above the shower/bath.
However, outside this area, any fitting can be used, provided you don't
intend to use a hose to clean your bathroom. If you do intend to use a hose,
you must use IPX5. IPX4 means splash resistant. IPX5 means resistant to
water jets.

Interesting! When I put the lighting in our bathroom the only
questions I asked here were about number of lights and what might
overload the circuit - I figured the ceiling was high enough to make
it unzoned.

I ended up with a 50W shower downlighter over the shower, 2
bathroom-suitable pearl glass globes on either side of the shower and
2 bog-standard 20W low voltage downlighters over the bath and sink,
reasoning that the ceiling is at least 6 feet away from both and as
such you'd have to be going some to get water up that high. The
telephone type shower attachment on the bath taps is at the opposite
end of the bath to where the downlighter is, if you see what I mean. I
don't think it's powerful enough to get that high up the wall!

My only concern is that because we've built an open shower steam can
sometimes get that high and I might have to fit some sort of fan to
the outside wall. Something to be worried about?

cheers

witchy/binarydinosaurs