Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Plague Boy Plague Boy is offline

Default How to get a towel out of the toilet?

George wrote:

Whats so hard about pulling a toilet? I tenant called and said the
toilet was clogged. All of the other drains worked fine. They said they
had tried to push it out and fortunately they didn't. I pulled it and
found a round plastic object in the trap. Best guess was their little
nephew who was visiting tossed it in. If someone had succeeded pushing
this into the drain stack it is pretty likely the next project would be
to open the ceiling below and cut the stack open to remove the item.

Columnist Dave Barry relates in one of his books how he and
some of his buddies decided to become Rich Through the Power of
Rental Property.

Since he had no other "skills", he was assigned the title of
"Plumber on Call".

Eventually they sold the property, poorer but wiser. After this
period of late-night "emergency" calls, Dave reached the
conclusion that there was some alien mother ship orbiting the
Earth, beaming down mind control rays that only tenants can hear:
"PICK UP A FOREIGN OBJECT, AND FLUSH IT DOWN THE TOILET. RIGHT
NOW!!!"

True conversation I (homeowner) had with a friend (lifetime renter):

"Ah, I can't, I'm broke."
"How can you be broke? You own your house, you don't have to pay
rent!"
"I still have to pay $300 a month in property taxes."
"Property tax? What the h@ll is *that*?"
" I have to pay the city tax money every 3 months or they take my
house."
"Wha! That's crazy! That's *UNCONSTITUTIONAL*! You should *fight*
that!!!"

So, hey, landlords: That's what tenants think, that the
hard-earned (or not) rent money they give you every month (or
roughly, or maybe not) is free and clear, and you can run down to
the corner bar and buy the house a round (or two). So, don't
drink *too* much tonight, 'cause you might be making a late-night
visit to Mr. P-trap.

--
PB
"I suspect you're an arrogant little ****ant who grew up in the