Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default How to get a towel out of the toilet?

Someone in the house who is not too bright accidentally flushed a
towel down the toilet. Kind of like a "hand towel" or a large
washrag. And they stupidly tried to use a plunger before realizing it
was a towel stuck in there.

Anyway, any ideas on how we can get the towel out? Is there some sort
of snake-like device with hooks or something that can grasp onto the
towel?

The other toilets work, so at least the towel didn't go TOO far.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On May 28, 2:23*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 5/27/2009 11:08 PM spake thus:

Someone in the house who is not too bright accidentally flushed a
towel down the toilet. *Kind of like a "hand towel" or a large
washrag. *And they stupidly tried to use a plunger before realizing it
was a towel stuck in there.

Anyway, any ideas on how we can get the towel out? *Is there some sort
of snake-like device with hooks or something that can grasp onto the
towel?

The other toilets work, so at least the towel didn't go TOO far.

You didn't say whether or not the toilet was clogged--is it? If not, I
wouldn't sweat it; the towel will eventually clear your drain.

If it is clogged, you're not going to get the towel out, but probably
push it through with a snake.

Yes, it is clogged. Hmm, if I manage to push it through, is it
possible that it could get stuck again further in the system (like
maybe if there are narrower pipes)?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Someone in the house who is not too bright accidentally flushed a
towel down the toilet. Kind of like a "hand towel" or a large
washrag. And they stupidly tried to use a plunger before realizing it
was a towel stuck in there.

Anyway, any ideas on how we can get the towel out? Is there some sort
of snake-like device with hooks or something that can grasp onto the
towel?

The other toilets work, so at least the towel didn't go TOO far.

You could try to snake it, with the goal of pulling the towel out of the
toilet, not through.
If you push the towel in and it gets stuck in the pipe somewhere, then
you're in more trouble.

That said, it's not easy to snake the toilet because of the built-in P-trap.

You may have to remove the toilet to get to the towel. Hopefully it is still
stuck in the toilet, not in the pipe.

Or you could try to find some chemical that dissolves cotton. It may take a
while.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

wrote in message
Someone in the house who is not too bright accidentally flushed a
towel down the toilet. Kind of like a "hand towel" or a large
washrag. And they stupidly tried to use a plunger before realizing it
was a towel stuck in there.

Anyway, any ideas on how we can get the towel out? Is there some sort
of snake-like device with hooks or something that can grasp onto the
towel?

The other toilets work, so at least the towel didn't go TOO far.

This will do it, and a lot easier than pulling the toilet;

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com...32.html?ref=42

HTH, Lefty

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Many drain snakes, the end has a spiral that can be opened
up. Insert snake, crank, pull back. The towel should come
back out.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
Someone in the house who is not too bright accidentally
flushed a
towel down the toilet. Kind of like a "hand towel" or a
large
washrag. And they stupidly tried to use a plunger before
realizing it
was a towel stuck in there.

Anyway, any ideas on how we can get the towel out? Is there
some sort
of snake-like device with hooks or something that can grasp
onto the
towel?

The other toilets work, so at least the towel didn't go TOO
far.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Yes, possible to clog further down the line. Drain snake
should help you snag and remove the towel.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
On May 28, 2:23 am, David Nebenzahl
wrote:
On 5/27/2009 11:08 PM spake
thus:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Lye decomposes diapers? That's a new one, to me. I thought
they were mostly cellulose, so I'd expect to have to use
sulphuric acid.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

When I worked in a lab, one of my co-workers accidentally
flushed a diaper
down the drain.

His solution was to liberate about six pounds of Sodium
hydroxide (Lye) from
the lab and continue to dump the stuff in the commode. I
think it worked and
I'm pretty sure you don't need reagent grade...

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article , "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
Many drain snakes, the end has a spiral that can be opened
up. Insert snake, crank, pull back. The towel should come
back out.

Just like fishing. It would be easy to determine where the cloth is.
Just measure with a snake or wire. If
its past the toilet, it may take removing it.

greg
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Lye decomposes diapers? That's a new one, to me. I thought
they were mostly cellulose, so I'd expect to have to use
sulphuric acid.

--

Real diapers are cotton.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On May 28, 2:54 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Lye decomposes diapers? That's a new one, to me. I thought
they were mostly cellulose, so I'd expect to have to use
sulphuric acid.

--

Real diapers are cotton.

That's what he said, cellulose.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Lye decomposes cotton? Might be.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message
Lye decomposes diapers? That's a new one, to me. I thought
they were mostly cellulose, so I'd expect to have to use
sulphuric acid.

--

Real diapers are cotton.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

I'd be more happy bending the tip of a closet auger, or
drain snake. So as to catch the towel, and pull it back.
Never know, the drain may be restricted some where farther
down the pipe.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Don & Lucille" wrote in message

Yes, it is clogged. Hmm, if I manage to push it through, is
it
possible that it could get stuck again further in the system
(like
maybe if there are narrower pipes)?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On 5/28/2009 12:35 PM Larry The Snake Guy spake thus:

On May 28, 2:54 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Lye decomposes diapers? That's a new one, to me. I thought
they were mostly cellulose, so I'd expect to have to use
sulphuric acid.

Real diapers are cotton.

That's what he said, cellulose.

So how do we know the washcloth isn't polyester?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article , Larry The Snake Guy wrote:
On May 28, 2:54 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Lye decomposes diapers? That's a new one, to me. I thought
they were mostly cellulose, so I'd expect to have to use
sulphuric acid.

--

Real diapers are cotton.

That's what he said, cellulose.

Could also be newspaper, toilet paper. I think paper is a little easier to dissolve.
Cotton is not stiff, and the fiber is continious, not chunked together. It
does not pull apart except with great strength. The OP keeps asking stupid questions.
I think a PLUMBER is required or will be. Roto Router.

greg
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On 5/28/2009 1:24 PM GregS spake thus:

In article
,
Larry The Snake Guy wrote:

On May 28, 2:54 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Lye decomposes diapers? That's a new one, to me. I thought they
were mostly cellulose, so I'd expect to have to use sulphuric
acid.

Real diapers are cotton.

That's what he said, cellulose.

Could also be newspaper, toilet paper. I think paper is a little easier to dissolve.
Cotton is not stiff, and the fiber is continious, not chunked together. It
does not pull apart except with great strength. The OP keeps asking stupid questions.
I think a PLUMBER is required or will be. Roto Router.

What's stupid about wanting to avoid paying potentially hundreds of
dollars for something you might be able to do yourself? Isn't that the
whole idea of this newsgroup?

I hope nobody shoots *you* down next time you ask a "stupid" question.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

I'ts not how deep you snake, but how you wiggle your tip.

I'm still voting for extracting as much of the offending
towel as possible.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"GregS" wrote in message

Just like fishing. It would be easy to determine where the
cloth is.
Just measure with a snake or wire. If
its past the toilet, it may take removing it.

greg

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Larry The Snake Guy wrote:

On May 28, 2:54 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Lye decomposes diapers? That's a new one, to me. I thought they
were mostly cellulose, so I'd expect to have to use sulphuric
acid.

Real diapers are cotton.

That's what he said, cellulose.

Could also be newspaper, toilet paper. I think paper is a little easier to

dissolve.
Cotton is not stiff, and the fiber is continious, not chunked together. It
does not pull apart except with great strength. The OP keeps asking stupid

questions.
I think a PLUMBER is required or will be. Roto Router.

What's stupid about wanting to avoid paying potentially hundreds of
dollars for something you might be able to do yourself? Isn't that the
whole idea of this newsgroup?

No. Its stupid to not do what they say and suggest something bad,
like trying to push it further down.

greg

I hope nobody shoots *you* down next time you ask a "stupid" question.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Lefty wrote:
wrote in message
Someone in the house who is not too bright accidentally flushed a
towel down the toilet. Kind of like a "hand towel" or a large
washrag. And they stupidly tried to use a plunger before realizing it
was a towel stuck in there.

Anyway, any ideas on how we can get the towel out? Is there some sort
of snake-like device with hooks or something that can grasp onto the
towel?

The other toilets work, so at least the towel didn't go TOO far.

This will do it, and a lot easier than pulling the toilet;

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com...32.html?ref=42

HTH, Lefty

Whats so hard about pulling a toilet? I tenant called and said the
toilet was clogged. All of the other drains worked fine. They said they
had tried to push it out and fortunately they didn't. I pulled it and
found a round plastic object in the trap. Best guess was their little
nephew who was visiting tossed it in. If someone had succeeded pushing
this into the drain stack it is pretty likely the next project would be
to open the ceiling below and cut the stack open to remove the item.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com...et-auger-38d-x...

HTH, *Lefty

Whats so hard about pulling a toilet? I tenant called and said the
toilet was clogged. All of the other drains worked fine. They said they
had tried to push it out and fortunately they didn't. I pulled it and
found a round plastic object in the trap. Best guess was their little
nephew who was visiting tossed it in. If someone had succeeded pushing
this into the drain stack it is pretty likely the next project would be
to open the ceiling below and cut the stack open to remove the item.

By the time you read all these posts you could have had it off and
problem solved!
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"George" wrote

Whats so hard about pulling a toilet?

LOL, nothing at all. You can skin a cat any way you'd like.
As a pro though, I don't think I have ever spent as much time actually using
the closet auger, as I have walking to the truck to get it. I doubt you
can say that about pulling the entire closet. Also, using the auger costs
nothing in consummables except the one rag I need so I don't have to touch
anything nasty. If you like sticking your head down near where your tenents
ass goes, THEN YOU GO RIGHT AHEAD.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

George wrote:

Whats so hard about pulling a toilet? I tenant called and said the
toilet was clogged. All of the other drains worked fine. They said they
had tried to push it out and fortunately they didn't. I pulled it and
found a round plastic object in the trap. Best guess was their little
nephew who was visiting tossed it in. If someone had succeeded pushing
this into the drain stack it is pretty likely the next project would be
to open the ceiling below and cut the stack open to remove the item.

Columnist Dave Barry relates in one of his books how he and
some of his buddies decided to become Rich Through the Power of
Rental Property.

Since he had no other "skills", he was assigned the title of
"Plumber on Call".

Eventually they sold the property, poorer but wiser. After this
period of late-night "emergency" calls, Dave reached the
conclusion that there was some alien mother ship orbiting the
Earth, beaming down mind control rays that only tenants can hear:
"PICK UP A FOREIGN OBJECT, AND FLUSH IT DOWN THE TOILET. RIGHT
NOW!!!"

True conversation I (homeowner) had with a friend (lifetime renter):

"Ah, I can't, I'm broke."
"How can you be broke? You own your house, you don't have to pay
rent!"
"I still have to pay $300 a month in property taxes."
"Property tax? What the h@ll is *that*?"
" I have to pay the city tax money every 3 months or they take my
house."
"Wha! That's crazy! That's *UNCONSTITUTIONAL*! You should *fight*
that!!!"

So, hey, landlords: That's what tenants think, that the
hard-earned (or not) rent money they give you every month (or
roughly, or maybe not) is free and clear, and you can run down to
the corner bar and buy the house a round (or two). So, don't
drink *too* much tonight, 'cause you might be making a late-night
visit to Mr. P-trap.

--
PB
"I suspect you're an arrogant little ****ant who grew up in the

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

.

"Don & Lucille" wrote in message

Yes, it is clogged. Hmm, if I manage to push it through, is
it
possible that it could get stuck again further in the system
(like
maybe if there are narrower pipes)?

Maybe a reference too old for some in the group but.........

"Call Mister Rooter, that;s the name
Just flush your problems down the drain
Mister Rooter
Mister Rooter

Toto toilet seat broken hold to toilet allan Home Repair 8 November 15th 15 10:08 PM
how do i replace a floor mounted toilet with a wall carrier toilet [email protected] Home Repair 4 January 23rd 09 05:00 PM
Towel radiator jez UK diy 4 August 14th 05 11:20 PM
Towel rod project [email protected] Home Repair 11 July 20th 05 05:42 AM
Towel Rails Jack UK diy 8 February 16th 04 10:59 AM