Lawrence A. Ramsey

Default How old is a Morgan 10A vise?

Michael: Standard method is using left-handed drill bits and run your
drill in reverse. Have fun finding them and listening to the smart ass
answers you will get when you ask for them. As the drill bit bites, it
will both apply torque and heat up the bolt both actions help allow
the broken bolt to release. If you can't locate them, write me off
line and I will locate some for you. Heat with a propane torch MIGHT
work if done carefully.

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:52:40 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Silvan wrote:

Also, someone asked this several years ago, and never got an answer. I'll
repeat the question. What color should this be painted?

I don't think I ever posted an update.

For anyone who cares...

After quite a lot of effort to get the thing worked free, it's now as silky
smooth as any other vise in my shop. The effort of working the screw back
and forth so many times has actually polished the screw silver again.
There's some pitting to be sure, but I don't think it's going to keep me
from getting many years of service out of the vise.

The color question has been answered... It's not really warm enough to
paint anyway, and I want to get it into service, so I just waxed it as is.
It pretty much looks like slightly rusty cast iron covered with dull, hazy
wax. I think it's somehow fitting that it looks really old, since it
almost certainly is.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the bolts out. There are two
threaded metal plates that fit inside a slot in the fixed jaw. I can't
coax the plates out without removing the bolts, and they're broken off in
such a fashion that it's going to be a real bitch to get them out. If I
could weld, I'd tack a piece of rod to the end, but I can't, so I'm going
to have to come up with something else. Or cave in and take the thing to
work and get my boss to do it.