Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Home Depot return policy

On Thu, 28 May 2009 16:40:05 -0700, Andy wrote:

On Thu, 28 May 2009 18:53:25 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I'm guessing someone on this list knows. I returned a water
heater, today. Purchased Jan 26, 2004. Six year warranty.

The returns desk refunded me my original $198 or whatever it
was (including the tax). Gave me a store credit "gift" card.
And sent me to go buy another water heater. Which was $388.
So, it cost me about $190 to replace a WH that was in
warranty.

I thought they would say "sorry, sir" and send me home with
a new WH, at no charge. They blamed GE / Hotpoint for that
policy.

Does anyone know?

The old heater was probably "Old Design," while the new one is "New
Design," which costs a lot more.
http://www.prlog.org/10213896-bw-plumbing-and-heating-water-heater-warranties-simplified.html

Just for the record, the last sentence here is, I'm certain, wrong:
"If the tank leaks or fails with any “Old Design” gas water heater and
it still has a tank warranty, then the homeowner can replace the the
water heater replaced under warranty. The homeowner will have to pay
for installation and an upgrade charge for the “New Design” water
heater. The good new in this scenario is that with the upgrade
charge, the the water heater’s warranty will extend another six (6)
years."

He doens't mean *another* 6 years. He means 6 years from the time of
installation, which is definitely less than 6 years from the first
installation or it woudln't be covered by the guarantee at all, maybe
as little as one month afterwards. So it's not 6 years and another 6
years but 6 years and whatever it gets extended to.

Oh, it's nice to have hot water, again. And yes, I did
install a shutoff.