Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Melting point of old solder

On May 27, 7:15*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On May 27, 2:14*pm, Ray K wrote:

I tried disassembling a 1/2" copper elbow from water pipes, using a
propane torch that comes in a $20 Worthington plumbing kit from Lowe's.
The solder wouldn't melt. I'm wondering if the solder used around 1969
had a much higher melting point than what's used today. I did keep the
tip of the blue flame on the elbow, and I tried heating around all sides
of the elbow.

The house is part of a development of 600 or so houses, so I doubt the
builder authorized some expensive, high temperature silver solder.

All the water was drained from the pipe, and the end of the pipe that
supplies cold water to the utility tub faucet was disconnected from the
faucet. The pipe from the faucet to the elbow is 4". The other pipe into
the elbow is about 6 feet long.

Let's back up here a bit. *What are you tying to do? *People are
addressing this as a matter of technique, but another approach might
work better for you.

Check out Sharkbite fittings from Cash Acme. *You cut the copper,
deburr it and then simply press the fitting onto the copper pipe.
Figure six or eight bucks per fitting and you won't need a torch at
all.

I just tried these for the first time. They are great for mods and
small projects but could be expensive for plumbing the whole house.

Jimmie